Breaking News

When life knocks you down, try to land on your back. Because if you can look up, you can get up.

OKON OFFIONG ( De-Catalyst )

Thursday, October 8, 2020

THE TALES OF AN AFRICAN PRINCE - CampusVill


 I was born a black Prince, 
Into a land of milk and honey 
A land blessed by the gods 
A land touched by God of light 
A land touched by d god of fertility Osiris
A land where rivers flow connecting my spirit and soul to my ancestors 
A land where d beauty of my sister's were seen in their hearts

A land where princes 
Are born transformed into kings 
A land where d warriors stand tall like mount Kilimanjaro
A land where agriculture Was our way of life and we could sustain ourselves and generations yet unborn 

A land that houses 54 countries 
And house about 2000 ethnic groups with over a thousand languages 
Ranging from the Maghreb at d north d temperate region in d south d mountainous region in d east and semi mountainous region in d West and Central part all united by one spirit one mind and the veneration of our ancestors 

A land highly blessed with natural resources 
A land that flourished with peace tranquility and harmony 
A land that was highly admired by her sister continents Europe and Asia

Till they came 
With darkness and evil
But their skin so pure like d streams of KwaZulu falls with eyes as pretty as watching d sun set from mount Kenya
They came and destroyed my pride 
My heritage, culture and strength

They killed my father 
They burnt my mother 
They raped my sister's
They called me NEGRO
They flogged me 
And my brothers 
They called us black monkeys 
They called us slaves 
They called us servitudes

They boarded me and 
My brothers on a vessel 
To an unknown land 
I saw my brothers die 
I saw children thrown overboard 
I saw babies separated from their mothers 
I wept I cried for help 
But no one could hear me 
Days turn to weeks 
Weeks turn to months 
Months turn to years 

Me a born Prince 
Mman isong like me 
Ayara like me 
Odudu like me 
Been blown by d wind 
Like a nylon to an unknown direction 
To work on their farms 
To nurse their children
To do their dishes 
Thus I became a slave...
They flogged my sister's 
I watched them been chained like animals 
They tied me to a tree and flogged me 
They burnt my brothers hair 
I wept and called on 
Mother Africa for help 

And she answered she brought in colonialism she brought in pan Africanism she brought in nationalist movement and African resistance 

This gladdened my heart for I know one day I will come back home after abolition 

Colonialism came with her own form of government many nations became free 
Many got independence
Finally we had a direction and could eat from d good of our land 

Little did we know 
Colonialism to an extent 
Came with her own pitfalls 
She brought greed godfather's corruption nepotism corruption hatred unemployment lack famine drought to mother Africa 
Thus forcing the youths 
To leave mother Africa 
The hope of Africa 
Leaving Africa 
The strength of Africa 
Leaving Africa 
The pride and strength 
Of Africa leaving Africa 
The essence of existence as a continent fleeing 
Due to over population 
Unemployment 
Lack hunger 
Corruption 
They were termed lazy youths 
In a bid to survive just as d early man did...

No comments:

Post a Comment