Breaking News

When life knocks you down, try to land on your back. Because if you can look up, you can get up.

OKON OFFIONG ( De-Catalyst )

Thursday, December 3, 2020

NIGERIA NEXT PRESIDENT SHOULD COME FROM THE SOUTHERN PART OF NIGERIA -Shekerau. -Campusvill


Former Governor of Kano State , Ibrahim Shekarau, has said Nigeria ’ s next president should come from the Southern part of the country .

He said by 2023 , the President , Major General Muhammadu Buhari ( retd . ) , who is from the northern part of the country , would have been in power for eight years , and “ common sense tells that we should look the other side , to the Southern part of Nigeria ” .

Shekarau , who represents Kano Central District in the Senate , added, “ There is common sense expectation of balancing and giving everybody a sense of belonging and fairness. ”
He , however , said reliable and competent hands should be entrusted with the responsibility of leading Nigeria in 2023.
The All Progressives Congress Senator spoke on Thursday while featuring on a television programme

When asked about his position on the growing call for a South - East presidency in 2023, Shekarau said, “ I don’ t call it zoning , I would rather call it some balancing . There has to be some sense of belonging. There is what I call the constitution of common sense .

“The Constitution of Nigeria or the constitution of any of the political parties didn ’ t say if I am from the North , my running mate must be from the South . It is not written but if today, I am a presidential candidate from Kano and I tell you my running mate is from Bauchi , you will say something is wrong with me .

“The presidency has just been from the North for eight years . Common sense tells that we should look the other side , to the Southern part of Nigeria . We should recognise the North and the South , this is elementary geography and history .
“Perception is what you have to carry along . If you continue to dominate on one particular side , the perception from the other side is , ‘ What about me ?’”
When asked if he has started nursing the ambition to run for president in 2023, the one - time presidential candidate said , “I don ’ t know about that . We haven ’ t gotten there yet , ” but quickly added , “ I am already giving it some thoughts . ”

No comments:

Post a Comment